Al Lindsay knows how to make the complex understandable and put his client’s best case forward. Whether the dispute relates to a multi-billion-dollar power-plant construction project, a nationwide product-liability class action, the crash of an airliner in South America, or even a presidential election, Al relies on his more than a quarter-century of experience litigating some of the most important cases of our time — and gets the job done.
Al is nationally recognized as a thought leader in e-discovery and known for his use of cutting-edge technology in preparation of and during trials, which is why the Associated Press called Al “an expert in technology and litigation.” Complementing this use of technology, Al’s consummate writing and presentation skills, alongside his devastating witness examination techniques, translate into success for his clients, both in securing pre-trial dismissals and settlements, as well as desirable trial outcomes.
Having focused exclusively on trying the most complex federal and state court actions for the first half of his career, Al’s practice over the past decade has increasingly focused on international arbitration. He enjoys trying cases before arbitral tribunals and dispute boards around the world.
With deep industry knowledge of the construction, energy, infrastructure, and real estate industries, Al acts as a trusted advisor to his clients throughout a litigation or arbitration life cycle. Balancing out his knowledge of his clients’ businesses is Al’s commitment to giving back. Al is the Miami office’s Pro Bono Chairman, overseeing the office’s efforts and personally providing local and regional organizations with legal advice to help the less fortunate.
- Lead counsel for energy company in JAMS arbitration against contractors regarding construction of US$100m natural gas-fired power plant.
- Lead counsel for energy company in ICC Panama arbitration concerning construction of US$800m hydroelectric power plant.
- Lead counsel for energy company in ICC arbitration in London regarding construction of US$720m gas-fired power plant in the Caribbean.
- Counsel for petrochemical company in ICC arbitration over disputes concerning construction of US$750m ammonia and urea plant in Venezuela.
- Counsel for aircraft manufacturer defending 70 wrongful-death actions arising out of largest aircraft disaster in South American history.
- At prior firm, counsel for Florida’s Secretary of State in Bush v. Gore from trial level through United States Supreme Court.*
- Lead counsel representing an international air carrier in an internal investigation related to dangerous goods.
- Lead counsel for an energy company AAA ICDR arbitration against contractor for catastrophic defects in a natural gas facility in Latin America.
- Lead counsel for a mining company in a federal admiralty action against a vessel for allision and destruction of a Caribbean shipping facility.
- In-session counsel to witness testifying before the United States Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations in Washington, D.C.
- Lead counsel for a premier yacht builder in arbitration under Miami Maritime Arbitration Rules concerning the construction of a US$27m vessel.
- Lead counsel for cruise ship company against vessel owner in arbitration and state court trials resulting in multi-million dollar award for client.
- Lead counsel for a European car manufacturer defending a nationwide class action in federal court regarding claimed defects in bumpers.
- Lead counsel for a medical device manufacturer defending claim of dismemberment due to allegedly defective peripherally inserted central catheter.
- Lead counsel for an aircraft manufacturer in defense of federal court cabin air-quality litigation filed by flight attendants.
- Lead counsel for an international women’s products company defending product liability action claiming that product caused permanent disfigurement.
- Counsel for pharmaceutical company in investigation of a whistle-blower complaint alleging regulatory violations.
- Counsel for top Costa Rican pineapple grower in “bet the farm” arbitration against one of world’s largest fruit distributors.
- Counsel for international business technology company in ICC arbitration against Mexican telecommunication company.
- Lead counsel for a medical device manufacturer in wrongful-death action involving a claim of anaphylactic shock from latex gloves.
Awards and rankings
- Diploma for Trial Advocacy Skills, National Institute for Trial Advocacy, 1998
- Meritorious Public Service Award, The Florida Bar, 2003
- Alumni of the Year, Phi Alpha Delta International Law Fraternity, Rasco Chapter, 2009
- Daniel E. Murray Award for Distinguished Achievement in the Field of Law, University of Miami Law Review, 2009
- Who’s Who in American Law, 2010-2012
- Commercial Litigation Top 5%, Florida Super Lawyers, 2007
- Super Lawyers: Corporate Counsel, Commercial Litigation Top 5%, 2008
- Most Effective Lawyers – Pro Bono, Daily Business Review, 2008
- Commercial Litigation, The Best Lawyers in America, 2010-2017