The majority of Barry Rothberg’s cases involve real estate litigation, including commercial landlord/tenant disputes, condominium rescission cases and canceled condominium projects, disputes over purchase and sale agreements, foreclosures and consumer finance cases, zoning litigation, and broker commission claims. He also handles a broad array of commercial litigation in state and federal courts, and has wide-ranging experience arbitrating under American Arbitration Association rules. Additionally, Barry has litigated international contract claims before the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce.
- Condominium litigation
- Represented condominium developers in defending against rescission claims and disputes with condominium associations.
- Represented developers against buyers bringing claims over canceled projects.
Commercial landlord/tenant disputes
- Represented landlords in evicting of commercial and residential tenants.
- Represented commercial tenants in defending against eviction actions.
Purchase and sale agreement disputes
- Represented numerous developers and individuals against real estate broker claims.
- General commercial litigation
- Represented national bank in recovering title to multi-million dollar commercial property wrongfully executed upon in sheriff’s sale.
- Represented judgment creditors in domestication and enforcement of final judgments.
- Lead trial counsel for Miami-based agricultural concern in week-long federal jury trial before the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, resulting in termination of disputed exclusivity agreement.
- Lead arbitration counsel for partnership pursuing claims against former partners before the American Arbitration Association, resulting in arbitration award.
- Lead arbitration counsel for Miami-based agricultural concern in breach of contract proceedings before the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce.
- Lead trial counsel defending developer against claims of construction delays in week-long Florida state court jury trial.
- Member of trial team for developer that prevailed in week-long bench trial against buyers’ claims concerning canceled condominium project.
Recognition & Leadership / Awards & Accolades
- Team Member, U.S. News – Best Lawyers®, Best Law Firms Edition, “Law Firm of the Year,” Real Estate – Litigation, 2017
- Listed, Florida Trend “Legal Elite,” Commercial Litigation, 2015, 2016
- Recipient, “Alona E. Evans Prize in International Law”
Professional & Community Involvement
- Vice President – Legislative Affairs, American Jewish Committee, Miami and Broward Chapter
- Pillar Member, Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dade County Bar Association
- LL.M., International and Comparative Law, Duke University School of Law, 1998
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, 1998
- B.A., Political Science and History, cum laude, Duke University, 1995