Deborah J. Gander is a board certified civil trial lawyer with more than $100 million in verdicts and settlements for her clients. A partner at Colson Hicks Eidson since 2002, she represents clients who have suffered catastrophic injuries or who have lost family members; she also represents clients who face financial ruin because of insurance company bad faith.
Deborah has twenty verdicts exceeding $1 million. This includes an award that was the largest ever in a Federal Tort Claims Act Case: $61 million for medical negligence at a Naval hospital, and was the first time in history the U.S. government was held liable for the acts of a doctor it alleged was an “independent contractor.” She recently obtained a verdict of $20.3 million against Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. in an admiralty case on behalf of a crewmember seriously injured aboard a vessel. She obtained a verdict in excess of $8 million for the parents of two pedestrians who were killed while crossing the street at dusk. Additionally, she handled several multimillion-dollar settlements in medical malpractice, heavy trucking (18-wheelers), and other personal injury cases.
As a personal injury attorney, Deborah works closely with clients during lengthy and complex cases, developing strong relationships that last long after the case resolves.
Honors, Education and Experience
Martindale-Hubbell rates Deborah “AV,” the highest rating available, and includes her in the Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers. She received the “Most Effective Lawyer” award for civil litigation in 2006 from the Daily Business Review, and has had two of her verdicts receive the Daily Business Review’s “Verdicts Hall of Fame Award”. Deborah has been repeatedly named one of the “10 Best Attorneys in Florida” by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys; a “Top Lawyer” by The South Florida Legal Guide; a “Top Attorney in Florida;” a “Florida Super Lawyer;” one of “America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators for Southern Florida;” and has received a Lifetime Achievement Award from “America’s Top 100 Attorneys”.
A magna cum laude graduate of the University of Miami School of Law, Deborah served as an adjunct professor for several years. She continues to lecture for organizations including the American Bar Association and the National Business Institute. Deborah is also an elected member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, and chaired the Civil Litigation Committee of the Dade County Bar Association.
Deborah clerked for the Hon. Peter T. Fay, U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit. In addition, while in law school, she worked for the Hon. James Lawrence King, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
For more information about Deborah, call our personal injury law firm at (305) 476-7400. You can also find an accident attorney ready to assist you by submitting our online contact form today.
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Membership Chair
- Dade County Bar Association
- Chair, Civil Litigation Committee
- The Florida Bar
- The American Bar Association
- The Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers
- American Inns of Court
- Adjunct Professor, Legal Research and Writing, University of Miami School of Law
- Deborah routinely speaks for legal and trade organizations throughout Florida
- Hon. Peter T. Fay, United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, Law Clerk
- Hon. James Lawrence King, United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Law Offices of Ervin A. Gonzalez, P.A.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Professional Liability
- Truck Accidents
- Wrongful Death
Certifications and Specialties
- Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney
- University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida, 1994
- Magna Cum Laude
- Order of the Coif
- Dean’s Scholar
- American Jurisprudence Book Awards for Highest Course Grade
- Competed on National Mock Trial Teams for the American Bar Association
- Competed on National Mock Trial Teams for the ATLA
- Honor Society of Phi Delta Phi
- University of Miami Law Review, Member
- University of Miami
- Stanford Scholar