Jennifer Miller is an experienced litigator and trial lawyer. She is a founding partner of Hamilton, Miller & Birthisel, L.L.P., a Martindale Hubbell® AV rated® minority certified law firm consistently ranked among the top ten most diverse law firms in South Florida by the Daily Business Review. She is the Managing Partner of its Fort Lauderdale and U.S. Virgin Island satellite offices.
Ms. Miller is AV rated® by Martindale Hubbell®, is recognized as Woman of the Year by the National Association of Professional Women, named as a Top Lawyer by the South Florida Legal Guide, and recognized as a “Super Lawyer” by Law and Politics.
Ms. Miller has dedicated 20 years of her practice to civil litigation, defending major insurers and corporations in a wide variety of industries including retail, restaurants, product manufacturers, distributors, cities and municipalities, international businesses, doctors and other medical professionals, the world’s largest passenger cruise lines, and major marine domestic and international underwriters in claims of personal injury and wrongful death, premises liability and negligent security, insurance coverage and bad faith, labor and employment, medical and professional malpractice, admiralty and maritime, commercial litigation, hospitality, transportation, and product liability. Her practice includes transactional work including the drafting of concessionaire agreements, maritime employment contracts, passenger tickets, terminal agreements, maritime collective bargaining agreements, docking contracts, bills of lading, towing agreements, charter contracts, salvage agreements, marine transportation agreements, storage agreements, and marine service contracts of all types.
Notable Verdicts and Trial Experience
- Defense verdict where plaintiff was injured in a restaurant, had multiple neck surgeries and claimed she could no longer be gainfully employed. Plaintiff’s demand was $7 million.
- Defense verdict in a Jones Act trial (standard of care is slight negligence), where plaintiff claimed that his work was unreasonably dangerous which led to a three level cervical fusion and resultant medical malpractice claim. Plaintiff’s demand was $6 million.
- Successfully handled numerous catastrophic cases, some involving mass torts, to satisfactory conclusion. One such case involved 40 claimants from an amphibious vehicle crash. Injuries included severe internal injuries, surgical neck, back, and knee injuries, and other injuries.
- Successfully defended largest retail mall in the U.S.V.I. in wrongful death claim where tenant was shot while leaving premises. Mall was sued for negligent security in failing to have proper number of security officers on duty, inadequate lighting, insufficient video surveillance, insufficient video surveillance monitoring, and lack of patrolling in the mall parking lot at the time of the incident.
- Successfully defended claims of multiple plaintiffs against U.S.V.I. bank and ADT against allegations of negligent security during a bank robbery where 11 patrons and employees brought suit.
- Trial involving plaintiff who allegedly suffered brain injury on hotel property due to improper scuba instruction. Obtained favorable verdict of $300 K which was considered a defense verdict for client.
- Indemnification/contribution product liability trial, where plaintiff lost substantial portion of arm. Brought third-party action against product manufacturer and obtained verdict against the product manufacturer and also an award of attorney’s fees.
- Successfully represented major hospitality concerns and cruise lines in various wrongful death and personal injury cases throughout districts in Florida and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Florida – 1997
- U.S. Virgin Islands – 2008
- U.S. District Court for the Southern, Middle, and Northern Districts of Florida – 1998
- U.S. District Court, U.S. Virgin Islands – 2009
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals – 1997
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals – 2009
- U.S. Supreme Court – 2012
Recognition & Memberships
- Board-Certified in Admiralty and Maritime Law, by the Florida Bar
- AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest peer review rating possible
- Woman of the Year, National Association of Professional Women
- Recognized as a Florida Super Lawyer by Law & Politics
- Top Attorneys in Florida, Transportation and Maritime, American Registry
- Top Up and Comer, South Florida Legal Guide
- Top Lawyer, South Florida Legal Guide
- NAMWOLF – National Association of Minority & Woman Owned Law Firms
- Women’s International Shipping & Trading Association (WISTA)
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, Member
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Member
- International Council of Cruise Lines, Executive Member
- Advisory Board, Seafarer’s House
- Executive Board, Broward Legal Aid
J.D., University of Florida College of Law – 1997
B.A., University of Florida – 1993
Speaker: CLM Annual Conference: “After the Storm: Natural Disasters and Crisis Management for the Insurance Industry.” March, 2018.
- Update on Cruise Ship and Passenger Laws: Passenger Injury Claims, Florida Bar Maritime Law Update 2010
- Retaliatory Discharge and Wages & Penalties, Crew Claims in the United States
- Efficient Claims Handling from a Maintenance and Cure Prospective
- Legal Pitfalls of Acting as a Marine Surveyor: What Every Marine Surveyor Should Know