Lee Stapleton is an experienced trial lawyer, seasoned in complex commercial litigation and white-collar criminal defense. Ms. Stapleton frequently represents corporate and individual clients located throughout the United States, Latin America, and Europe in high-value commercial and criminal matters.
Ms. Stapleton is the immediate past President and Chair of the Orange Bowl Committee and is active in community affairs, including serving on the Board of Baptist Outpatient Services and Baptist Health Enterprises and as an adjunct professor in the University of Miami School of Law’s Litigation Skills program. Lee Stapleton is an editor of the American Bar Association’s Litigation magazine and has also been recognized as one of the Top 20 South Florida Women in Law by The Daily Business Review.
Ms. Stapleton was recently selected by Florida Super Lawyers as one of the top 100 lawyers in the state.
Ms. Stapleton is consistently ranked among South Florida Legal Guide’s “Top Lawyers” and Florida Trend’s “Legal Elite”. She has been selected by her peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America.
Ms. Stapleton had a distinguished career at the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Florida, where she served as Chief Assistant U.S. attorney. From 1987 to 1989, Ms. Stapleton served at the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C., where she was the director of a $400 million program that coordinated the efforts of federal and state law enforcement. She was then appointed to senior litigation counsel in the Economic Crimes Section in Miami, where she focused on health care fraud.
- Consistently ranked among South Florida Legal Guide ’s “Top Lawyers” and Florida Trend ’s “Legal Elite”
- Listed lawyer, Best Lawyers in America (Commercial Litigation; Criminal Defense: White-Collar)
- Listed as a “Super Lawyer,” Florida Super Lawyers
- Listed lawyer, Top 100 Florida Super Lawyers, Top 100 Miami Super Lawyers, and Top 50 Woman Florida Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers 2015
- Listed lawyers, Top 100 Miami Super Lawyers and Top 50 Woman Florida Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers 2018
- Listed lawyer, 20 South Florida Women in Law, Daily Business Review 2015
- American Bar Association – Co-Chair: Federal Practice Task Force: Section of Litigation
- American Bar Association – Member of Council: Governing Body: Section of Litigation
- American Bar Association – Associate Editor: Litigation Magazine (circulation 70,000)
- American Bar Association – Co-Director of Divisions: Section of Litigation
- American Bar Association – Co-Chair: Criminal Litigation Committee
- American Bar Association – Co-Chair: Government Litigation Committee
- American Bar Association – Presidential Appointment: Latin American Law Initiative Advisory
- Faculty member, University of Miami, Litigation Skills
- On-air weekly Legal Analyst, WPLG Channel 10 News, ABC’s Miami Affilate
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Orange Bowl Committee President – 2015
- Orange Bowl Committee Member for the College Football’s Bowl Championship Series since 2002
- Board of Trustees and Directors Member, Baptist Health, South Florida Outpatient Services
- Board of Trustees and Directors Member, Baptist Health Enterprises
- Board of Trustees and Directors Member, Baptist Health Medical Arts Surgical Center
- Bar of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- M.A., University of Florida
- J.D., University of Florida Levin College of Law, (Honors)
- B.A., University of Florida