Michael Mena was automatically re-elected as City Commissioner on April 9, 2019 and sworn-in on April 26, 2019. Commissioner Mena will serve for a four-year term in the City Commission Group Five seat.
He was previously elected on April 25, 2017 in the city’s first runoff election and sworn-in as a City Commissioner on April 28, 2017. He served for a two-year term.
Commissioner Mena is an attorney at the MSP Recovery Law Firm. He earned his BA at the University of Miami and his JD at Columbia University School of Law.
2019-2023: City Commissioner Group Five
2017-2019: City Commissioner, Group Five
- Jackson Health System General Obligation Bond Citizens Advisory Committee, Former Member
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Miami-Dade County, 40 Under 40, Outstanding Lawyer Committee
- The Florida Bar, Business Law and International Law Sections, Member
- Cuban American Bar Association, Member
- Dade County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Citizens’ Transportation Advisory Committee of the Miami-Dade Metropolitan Planning Organization, Former Member
- Belen Jesuit Alumni Lawyers Association, Member
- Ex-Officio Board Member of the Coral Gables Community Foundation
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers Magazine 2009-2019, Listed in Florida as a “Rising Star” for Business Litigation, Civil Litigation Defense, and Securities Litigation
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation 2010, Recognized as a “40 Under 40, Outstanding Lawyer of Miami-Dade County”
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite 2009, Listed as an “Up and Coming” Lawyer