Nelson C. Bellido is the partner in charge of the Miami office of Roig Lawyers. His main areas of practice are in complex commercial litigation, insurance defense litigation, insurance fraud special investigations, finance law, products liability, employment litigation and shareholder and partnership disputes.
Nelson represents clients on a national and international scale in a range of commercial and insurance litigation issues including banking litigation, financial fraud, lender liability, insurance fraud, insurance coverage disputes, bad faith and extra-contractual issues, premises liability, real estate liability, construction litigation, asset recovery, business torts, shipping and trade disputes, and creation of corporate documents. He has experience litigating cases in state and federal court as well as arbitration proceedings.
Nelson has successfully defended Fortune 500 companies in trial matters involving premises liability, products liability, warranty claims, fraud and breach of contract. He serves companies in industries involving insurance, retail, finance, chemical, petroleum, technology and other service providers in litigation matters and the preparation of business contracts, including employment and non-compete agreements.
Nelson has been recognized as a leader in his profession. Nelson was chosen to speak by the Dade County Bar Association in a conference showcasing the Superstars of Trial in South Florida in July 2017.
Nelson has spoken on an array of legal topics. Most recently, in February 2018, Nelson was chosen as a panelist for the National Association of Minority and Women-Owned Law Firms’ International Law Practice Area Committee’s panel discussion entitled “Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) Challenges in Asia and Latin America” at the 2018 NAMWOLF Business Meeting in San Diego, CA and in September 2018 at the Hispanic National Bar Association Annual (HNBA) Meeting in Philadelphia on “Crazy Litigation Strategies That Just Might Work and Tried-and-True Strategies You Might Want to Avoid.”
In April 2018, Nelson was a featured speaker at Duke University where he spoke on the topic of “Diversity and the Evolution of the Latino Experience” during Duke Blue Devil Days. In February 2016, Nelson was a guest lecturer at Duke University, where he spoke on the topic entitled “Diversity & Ethics in the Legal Profession: The Changing Cultural Landscape and Role of Higher Education.”
In October 2017, Nelson was also a featured speaker on webinar entitled, “Bad Faith Claims and its Impact on Insurance Companies.” Also of note, in November 2014, Nelson was a featured speaker at the South Florida Daily Business Review Corporate Counsel Summit where he spoke on “Contract & Consequence: Business Contracts and the Impact on Corporate Counsel.”
Nelson has also published an extensive annotated commercial lease as part of a useful collection of form documents for the American Bar Association entitled, “The In-House Counsel’s Essential Tool Kit,” related to corporate governance, compliance, general business contracts, employment, IP and litigation. The complete series is intended to provide guideposts and is filled with general advice, practical tips and ideas for training in-house counsel, in addition to many annotated forms.
In 2010, Nelson was appointed by the Chief Judge of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit for Miami-Dade County to the County Commission on Ethics and Public Trust and has been twice reappointed re-appointed to additional 4-year terms. He was also elected Chairperson of the Miami-Dade Fair & Exposition through 2019. The Youth Fair committed to providing scholarships to community high school students.
Nelson is a former Assistant State Attorney with the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office where he served our community from 1993 to 1997. He also served as an adjunct Business Law Professor at Florida Memorial University in Miami, Florida from 1997 to 1999.
He is AV Preeminent Peer-Review Rated 5.0 out of 5.0 by Martindale-Hubbell and has been recognized to the South Florida Legal Guide’s annual list as a “Top Lawyer” in Corporate and Business Litigation, Florida Super Lawyers in Commercial Litigation, Florida Trend’s Legal Elite in Complex Commercial Litigation, Wall Street Journal’s Top Attorneys in Florida, Finalist for 2016 Florida Insurance Fraud Education Committee’s Insurance Defense Attorney of the Year, Miami Today’s “The Achiever” and “Book of Leaders”, Duke University’s Charles A. Dukes Award and 2017 President’s Distinguished Leadership Award presented by the Dade County Bar Association, CABA Pro Bono Project, Legal Services of Greater Miami and Dade Legal Aid.
Areas of Practice
- J.D., University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, FL, 1992
- B.A., Political Science and History with emphasis on Latin American History, Duke University, Durham, NC, 1989
Admitted to Practice
- Florida, 1993
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- United States Supreme Court
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Insurance Litigation (2018)
- AV® Preeminent™ Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- 2017 President’s Distinguished Leadership Award presented by the CABA Pro Bono Project, Legal Services of Greater Miami, Dade Legal Aid and the Dade County Bar Association for efforts to advance pro bono service in community (2017)
- Wall Street Journal Top Attorneys in Florida (2011-2016)
- Miami Today “Book of Leaders” (2015)
- South Florida Legal Guide, “Top Lawyer” (2012-Present)
- South Florida Business Journal, Power Leaders in Law and Accounting (2015); (2016)
- FIFEC Insurance Defense Attorney of the Year, Finalist (2016)
- Duke University Hispanic/Latino Alumni Association Outstanding Service Award (2014); Chairperson (2013-2015)
- Florida Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite in Complex Commercial Litigation (2006–2015)
- Florida Super Lawyers, recognized as a leader in the Business Litigation (2010 – Present), and one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Florida (2013)
- Wall Street Journal Top Attorneys in Florida (June 2011)
- Business Networking International, Most Valuable Member 2007 & Outstanding Service Award 2008
- American Bar Association Committee on Corporate Counsel’s The In-House Counsel’s Essential Toolkit (2007)
- South Florida Business Journal (2006)
- Legal Services of Greater Miami Volunteer Service Award (2006)
- Best of the Bar in Complex Business Litigation (2005)
- Put Something Back, Pro Bono Service Award, recognized for his community service (2004)
- Dade County Bar Association Outstanding Service Award (2003-2004)
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- American Bar Association, Business Litigation Committee and Business Law Section
- Cuban American Bar Association, Director (2006-2013)
- Dade County Bar Association, Executive Director and Chair of the Civil Litigation Committee (2004-2006)
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Member (2008- present); Finance Development Committee, Member (2015-present); Mentor (2012- present)
- Miami-Dade Commission on Ethics & Public Trust, Vice Chair (2018-2019); Chairman (2013-2015); Commissioner (2010-present)
- NAMWOLF, Member of Trial PAC, Financial Services PAC and Development Committee (2016)
- The Florida Bar, Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee (2006-2012); Business Litigation Committee; Diversity Symposium Committee, Member (2008)
- Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA), 2017 Corporate Counsel Conference, Co-Chair
- Overtown Youth Center, Volunteer (2013-present)
- Missionaries of Charity, Volunteer (2011-present)
- Duke Alums Engage Events, Chair/Event Organizer (2011-present)
- Business Networking International (BNI) Pincrest, Member (2015- present)
- Duke University Alumni Association Advisory Council, Chairperson (2015-present)
- Duke University Hispanic/Latino Alumni Association (2010-present); Chairperson (2013-2015)
- Dade County Fair, Board of Directors (2006-present), Treasurer (2013-2015), Chair-Elect (2015-present)
- Duke University, Board of Directors of Alumni Association (2007-2011, 2014-present)
- Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc., Director (2004-2006)
- League of Prosecutors, President (2007-2008) & Director (2002-2011)
- Duke University Alumni Association of South Florida, President (1999-2011)