- Representation of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors Taylor, Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corp. (TBW). Prior to its bankruptcy, TBW was the largest independent mortgage originator in the United States. Headquartered in Ocala, Florida, TBW employed approximately 2,500 people across the United States in its main business and employed another 1,500 people in various subsidiaries. This case involved an excess of $11 billion in claims.
- Counsel to Judge Herbert Stettin as Chapter 11 Trustee for the law firm of Rothstein, Rosenfeldt & Adler, P.A. This case is reported to be the largest Ponzi scheme in Florida history and involves approximately $1.2 billion in claims. The confirmed plan will provide distributions to all non-subordinated general unsecured creditors representing the full amount of their allowed claims and payment in full in all but one class of subordinated claims.
- Served as debtor’s counsel in Simply Fashion Stores, Ltd. and its affiliate Adinath Corp., HearUSA, Inc., Aloha Airlines, and Levitt and Sons; and as co-counsel to the debtors in the Chapter 11 cases of AT&T Latin America, Atlas Air/Polar Air Cargo, and the TOUSA, Inc. et al cases.
- Special litigation counsel to the debtors and then trustee in the American Tissue cases.
- Represented the Espirito Santo Group of Portugal and its affiliates in the Bankest bankruptcy cases in Florida. These cases involve the largest bank fraud in South Florida history.
- Counsel to a large hedge fund, in litigation involving Tremont Securities Law, State Law and Insurance Litigation and the Bernard L. Madoff fraud cases.
- Special litigation counsel to the trustee in the Universal Health Care Group, Inc. Chapter 11 bankruptcy case (Kapila v. Warburg Pincus, et al).
Awards and Honors
- American College of Bankruptcy – Paul was elected as a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy in November 2002, and was inducted into the College on March 29, 2003.
- Chambers & Partners USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers
- Bankruptcy/Restructuring (2003-2018); Recognized as a “Star Individual” (2009-2018)
- Ranked nationwide for Bankruptcy/Restructuring; One of only two lawyers in the state of Florida to be included in the nationwide rankings
- Ranked in state of Florida for Litigation – General Commercial (2017, 2018)
- Chambers & Partners Global, The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Global Bankruptcy, 2013-2017.
- Expert Guides, a British publication produced by Legal Media Group, has recognized Paul as the top Insolvency and Restructuring lawyer in Florida. Paul received more nominations for this recognition than any other lawyer in the State.
- The American Inns of Court, Spellman-Hoeveler Chapter – Paul was nominated into membership of The American Inns of Court, Spellman-Hoeveler Chapter in September 2003. The American Inns of Court is a group of judges, lawyers and law professors with 20,000 active members throughout the United States whose mission is to foster excellence in professionalism, ethics, civility and legal skills in order to perfect the quality and efficiency of justice in the United States.
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy and Business Reorganization, 1995-2019
- Best Lawyers, Litigation (Bankruptcy) Lawyer of the Year (Miami), 2018
- Miami Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Lawyer of the Year, 2013
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2018
- Top Ten Florida Super Lawyers, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015-2018-Ranked Number One
- Top 100 Florida, 2012-2018
- Top 100 Miami, 2012-2018
- Florida Trend, Legal Elite Hall of Fame, 2018
- Legal Elite, 2004-2018
- South Florida Legal Guide’s, Top Lawyers, 2005-2018
- Lawdragon 500, named among the nation’s leading 500 attorneys by Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America. Paul is the only attorney in the state of Florida listed in Bankruptcy category, 2006-2014
- Daily Business Review, Bankruptcy, Recipient for Most Effective Lawyer Award 2012
- The American Law Institute – Paul was elected into membership of the American Law Institute in December 2001.
- Daily Business Review, Finalist, Most Effective Lawyer Award in Bankruptcy, 2011
- Pro Bono Service Award presented to the committee chaired by Paul in recognition of continuing support and outstanding contribution to “Put Something Back,” a joint pro bono project of the Florida Eleventh Judicial Circuit and the Miami-Dade County Bar Association – March, 1999.
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ rated, 1997-Present.
Community Activities / Associations
- Fellow, The American College of Bankruptcy, Inducted 2003
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Member, The American Law Institute
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Commercial Law League of America
- Member, The Spellman-Hoeveler American Inn of Court
- Member, Miami-Dade County and American Bar Associations
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, Executive Committee and Of Counsel, 2015
- Mount Sinai Medical Center, Advisory Board of Trustees, 2010-present, Executive Board of Trustees, 2013-present, and chair of Audit Committee, 2015
- Member of the Financing Chapter 11 Advisory Committee to the ABI Commission to Study the Reform of Chapter 11 and co-author of Reports on Carve-Outs, Pay to Play Provisions, and Winding Down Provisions, 2012-2013
- The Florida Bar (Business Law Section: Chair, 1995-1996; Chair Elect, 1994-1995; Secretary/Treasurer, 1993-1994; Chairman, Legislation Committee, 1992-1993; Chairman, Bankruptcy/UCC Committee, 1990-1991; Continuing Legal Education, Special Programs and Meetings Committee, 1987-1990; Member, Executive Council of the Business Law Section, 1986-Present; Special Committee on Opinion Standards (The Special Committee authored the Report on Standards for Opinions of counsel in Business Transactions; Member, Pro Bono Committee, Present)
- Southern District of Florida Bankruptcy Bar Association, Director, 1997-2000; Chairman of Pro Bono Committee, 1999-2000
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan – September 1983 – April 1997, Associate: 1983-1991, Partner: 1992-1997
March 26, 2015 Credit Bidding: Impacts, Complications And Limitations
Recent Speaking Engagements
February 1, 2014 Dade County Bar Association Bench and Bar Conference
May 21, 2010 Alabama Bankruptcy Bar Association Conference